RSS-Feed
Forum
Hauptforum Forum: Spam Thread: trip to Helsinki to watch

trip to Helsinki to watch
Seite: « 1 »
#1 am 09.01.2015 um 03:04 Uhr Diesen Beitrag zitieren
gengm125
User
ORLANDO, Fla.Brad Nortman Elite Jersey. -- TigerWoods was a large part of the conversation on the eve of the Arnold Palmer Invitational. And hes not even playing. Woods is missing Bay Hill for only the second time in his career when the tournament starts Thursday on a course that Palmer said is in the best shape ever. Woods has won eight times, including the last two years, but he called the 84-year-old host on Tuesday to say persistent back pain will keep him from playing. "He didnt tell me how bad his back is. I dont think he knows how bad his back is," Palmer said. "I think hes listening to the doctors. And he mentioned that theyre saying that he needs to give it a bit of a rest and see if he can work it out. He was very nice. And I, of course, have great sympathy for the fact that he tried like hell to come here and play. And I appreciate that and the fact that he called. "I think he wanted to play golf this week," Palmer said. "I think that he needs to take (time) -- whether its this week, next week or the following week -- to get ready for Augusta. Certainly, if I were in that position, Id be doing much the same." Most of the chatter was more about the future with Woods. Will he play at the Masters? Stuck on 14 majors for the last five years, can he match or surpass the record 18 majors won by Jack Nicklaus? And what will be the larger obstacle -- his age (38), his health (legs and back) or the competition (long list)? "I dont think 38 years is the ultimate stopping point for his quest to do what Jack did," Palmer said. "I think it lessens the possibility of that happening. Its going to be tough. Its going to be tough to keep the concentration and the type of the game that is necessary to win majors." Nicklaus won four of his majors after turning 38. Ben Hogan, with battered legs from a car accident, won five majors after turning 38. Palmer, however, believes more than age is at stake for Woods. "These young guys are tough, and theyre strong," Palmer said. "And if they continue to play as well as theyve been playing, its going to be tough for anybody -- whether it be Nicklaus or Tiger or whomever it would be -- to continue to win major championships. And were talking about guys that are playing good and coming on." Palmer actually had a list of players he was talking about. Some of them were young, such as ChrisKirk and HarrisEnglish. Others had either won this season (RyanMoore) or played well recently (RobertGarrigus). "I dont know how many you want me to name," Palmer said. "But really, the strength and the ability of these people is very pleasing to me." GraemeMcDowell, a runner-up to Woods two years at Bay Hill, said he can understand what the No. 1 player is going through with injuries. He also believes that competition might be an even larger obstacle than his health for Woods to break Nicklaus record. "Hes a physical player who creates a lot of speed and a lot of power and his body is starting to struggle a little bit, no doubt about it," McDowell said. "But Im sure hell fix it. ... But we all talk about how good the fields are nowadays. Taking Tigers fitness and physicality out of it, winning major championships is getting harder and harder for everyone -- including the best player maybe thats ever lived in Tiger. "Hes got more than just his body to be fighting. Theres a lot of great players in the world now," McDowell said. "Its going to be harder for him to achieve Jacks record. But if anyone can do it, Im sure he can find a way because we all know how good he is." The field at Bay Hill is not as strong as usual, starting with the absence of Woods, the No. 1 player in the world and an eight-time winner of this event. Match Play champion JasonDay (No. 4 in the world) pulled out with recurring pain in his thumb, and PhilMickelson (No. 5) is not playing this year. Not that it would change the dynamics of what already has been a peculiar season. With 18 tournaments in the books this season, ZachJohnson is the only player to win a PGA Tour event while ranked among the top 10 in the world. The Masters is three weeks away. Is it time for the stars to come out? "Hopefully, this one does," Masters champion AdamScott said, pointing to himself with a laugh. "But as far as unexpected winners, it seems to me thats happening more and more in golf. There are more and more guys breaking through, putting in a lot of hard work and getting what they deserve. So I think weve seen a bit of a shift in the game over the last couple of years -- a lot less domination by top players."Charles Johnson Jersey. The Vikings announced Saturday they downgraded Peterson from doubtful on the original injury report to out against Detroit Sunday, when the Vikings and Lions will play the last game at the Metrodome.Graham Gano Jersey. - AlexGordon went from a bust to busting the bank.HELSINKI, Finland -- There might be only one person who is a more passionate supporter of Canada at the IIHF World Hockey Championship than John Tavares. His mom, Barb. The tournament has turned into an annual event for the family, with John currently starring on the ice for a third straight year and his parents back among the entourage of Canadian friends and family offering support. Its an event none of them would miss -- at least as long as Johns New York Islanders arent part of the NHL playoffs. "Any time theres anything for Hockey Canada youre certain to see my face," Barb Tavares said Sunday before the group gathered for a Mothers Day brunch. She is the epitome of a committed hockey mom. In fact, John Tavares isnt sure he ever would have scaled the heights he has in hockey without her support. When he was a young phenom just beginning to chase his NHL dream, it was almost always Barb who shuffled him from rink to rink while his father, Joe, was busy running the family business. "My dad didnt take me to hockey growing up very much," said Tavares. "He was always working and working late. My moms the one that dealt with a lot of things -- getting me to the rink and getting me on the ice and dealing with parents sometimes and giving me the best opportunity to do something I love to do. "I think what my mom was really good at, she really understood how badly I loved to play and wanted to play and realized when to push me." That drive has carried him a long way. The No. 1 pick in the 2009 NHL draft, Tavares has quickly become a go-to player for the Islanders -- leading them in scoring each of his three NHL seasons -- and a major force for Canada in international competitions. Hes piled up an impressive 16 goals in 20 career world championship games and is centring the teams top scoring unit here with Jordan Eberle and Jeff Skinner. Amazingly, at just 21 years old, Tavares is already tied for fifth in goals all-time at this event by a Canadian. Next up on the career list with 18 goals is Steve Yzerman, who will almost certainly be keeping a close eye on Tavares leading up to his selection of Team Canada for the 2014 Olympics. Kevin Lowe -- a member of Yzermans management team for the Sochi Games and Canadas general manager here -- has been awfully impressed with what hes seen so far.Dwan Edwards Elite Jersey. "Its amazing how much different he looks now than he did two years ago," said Lowe. "He looks like a man now." Time has passed quickly for the Tavares family. Barb vividly remembers John being selected first overall in the Ontario Hockey League draft by Oshawa at the tender age of 14 and thinking that a four-year junior career would drag on a long time. In September, her son will be starting his fourth NHL season. Back in the OHL days, she was a constant at games -- often making trips around the province each weekend with daughters Laura and Barbara in tow. "It just kind of worked with the family," said Barb. "It was basically throw the girls in the car, I had a cooler packed and off we went. We all enjoyed it." With both daughters now attending university, she and Joe spend a fair amount of time on the road watching the Islanders play. John thinks his mother has learned to internalize her "intensity" while watching games, but he knows theres always a fire burning inside. "She wants to see us succeed and see me succeed because she knows how much I love the game and how hard I work at it," he said. His Islanders teammates have taken note of Barb and Joes commitment to watching them play. Its something they even needle Tavares about in the dressing room. "Shes watching every game," he said. "Its funny, her and my dad come so often on the road now that I dont even go out to eat with them every time. The guys back home on the Island always give me a bit of a hard time about how they should be running the booster club. "Theyve put in a lot of time and effort with me. I think theyre really proud and just trying to enjoy it all." The pride is evident -- just as it as among the other seven mothers who made the trip to Helsinki to watch their sons play at the world championship. Barb broke into a wide smile when asked how it feels to see John wear the Maple Leaf. "Its like a dream come true," she said. "I mean thats the ultimate -- to represent your country, theres nothing above that."cheap jerseyscheap jerseys from china' ' '
IP gespeichert
Seite: « 1 »
Design von FoxHunter; Angepasst von FoxHunter; Angeboten auf dzcp-fans.de und .:$F]B[D$:.